Looking for the perfect gift for special needs parents? Know that overwhelmed parents cannot deal with more preparation, equipment, or time consuming reading of how-to books? Active Imagination Activity Book: 50 Sensorimotor Activities for Children to Improve Focus, Attention, Strength, and Coordination by Kelly Tilley, MCISc, OTR/L has all the features to please busy parents. The fifty sensorimotor activities will definitely please any child, not only children who need help improving strength, coordination, focus, and attention.
Kelly Tilley’s unique book is the best resource for fun, effective and fuss-free movement activities I have seen. If you have a child, student, or client who could benefit from getting exercise, or who needs specific movement activities for calming, energizing, or strengthening, Active Imagination Activity Book has to be on at arm’s length.
Why Do Some Children Need Sensorimotor Activities?
Kelly Tilley writes, “Every child has a unique set of sensory needs and abilities. Some children appear overly aroused (too wired, unable to sit still), while others appear underaroused (too sluggish, have trouble getting moving). Improving children’s level of arousal and their ability to attend and focus can be achieved through sensorimotor activity.”
About the Sensorimotor Activities for Children
Do you believe in multi-tasking? Do you find at the end of the day there are areas in your child’s, students’, or client’s developmental needs you never had time to address? Kelly Tilley’s experience as a mom and as an occupational therapist at a pediatric clinic motivated her to come up with fun and imaginative ways to build sensorimotor play into a child’s daily routine and at the same time develop the child’s imagination, language, and attention skills.
Every play activity has an amusing name and an easy-to-read and easy-to- follow description that leads to opportunities to develop the whole child and not only do boring, meaningless physical exercises like many programs offer. Whose child would not be motivated by these descriptive titles and want to learn more about it?
- Dolphin Dive
- Meteorite Launch
- Ladybug Hop
- Alligator Legs
- Lava Leaps
- Armadillo Roll-up
Please note: NO Equipment Needed!
All that is required is a small and/or medium-sized exercise ball. Most other equipment can be found in all homes, schools, or clinics. (pillows, cushions, blankets, chair, bench,…) No-fuss, no stuff!
Who Benefits from this Book?
What is the purpose of this book? Fun and play for all children come first to mind. A book, to help the child under your care, to improve his overall functioning. It also fosters lots of bonding and interaction moments with the adult. For the busy teacher, this book provides entertaining and meaningful movement breaks for the whole class. These well thought-out activities are great to add to obstacle courses, treasure hunts, and group activities like birthday parties or family gatherings. Therapist can use the book to plan sensory diets and make follow-through easy for the parents. But who benefits most of all? The children!
How do you know you are getting your money’s worth when buying Active Imagination Activity Book? Its qualities stand out the moment you hold it!
Features of Active Imagination Activity Book: 50 Sensorimotor Activities
- Sturdy, Colorful, Glossy Cover: Will withstand wiping after sticky little hands have chosen their favorite activity.
- High Grade, Laminated Paper: Kid friendly book assures many years with NO “wear and tear”.
- Small, Compact, and Light: Handy for educators and therapists to store in their travelling “bag of tricks”.
- Color Coded Tabs: with text along the border of each page indicate if the activity is Energizing, For Upper-Body Strengthening, Core Strengthening, or Calming.
- Easel Book Format: Spiral-bound book so pages fold over easily and the book forms an easel so children see the directions and drawing while they participate.
- Concise Descriptions: In the first five pages, Kelly Tilley skillfully and in parent-friendly- language introduces the book, highlights the features, and explains her selection of activities.
- Clear Drawings: Every Activity page has a colorful, amusing, easy-to-follow picture that is enhanced by movement arrows.
- Quick Reference Chart: At the end, for an Index but much better, is a 2 page chart with columns for the page number of the activity, its name, and the four categories of activities. At a glance the user can locate an activity and see the benefit or benefits of each. Some activities fall under more than one category.
From cover to cover Active Imagination Activity Book is a must buy and a keeper… so buy more than one if you needed a gift that will “keep-on-giving”.
Originally from Canada, Kelly Tilley, MCISc, OTR/L is a Board Certified Occupational Therapist who lives in Crystal Lake, IL. She was educated at The University of Toronto and the University of Western Ontario. She currently works at Arlington Pediatric Therapy providing therapeutic intervention for children with neurological and congenital conditions. Her two children and her clients are the inspiration for the activities and illustrations in her book.
Read Special Needs Book Review’s Interview with Kelly Tilley.
Buy Active Imagination Activity Book from Future Horizons and get 15% off PLUS free delivery in continental USA! Add the coupon code KIDCOMPANIONS when you checkout of the store for discounts!