Exotic Animal Designs: A Stress Relieving Adult Coloring Book by Katie Packer and Blue Star Coloring is the third adult coloring book we have reviewed. Blue Star Coloring gave us the three books to review. I was new to the adult coloring world and did research on this popular way folks are turning to coloring images to help them relax and de-stress. After having escaped into the world of coloring a few times I can easily understand how it’s become a popular form of relaxation.
But how does coloring work? What does this pastime do to our brains to elicit such pleasure and calm?
One very informative article on adult coloring books was written in November 13, 2015 b a clinical psychologist named Scott M. Bea, Psy.D. The article is titled 3 Reasons Adult Coloring Can Actually Relax Your Brain – Find out what’s behind the latest craze
The following is taken from this article: “According to clinical psychologist Scott M. Bea, Psy.D., coloring has everything to do with refocusing our attention. Adult coloring requires modest attention focused outside of self-awareness. It is a simple activity that takes us outside ourselves. In the same way, cutting the lawn, knitting, or taking a Sunday drive can all be relaxing.
What does adult coloring do to relax people?
Dr. Bea cites three reasons adult coloring can be calming:
- Attention flows away from ourselves. A simple act, such as coloring, takes your attention away from yourself and onto the present-moment event. “In this way, it is very much like a meditative exercise,” Dr. Bea says.
- It relaxes the brain. When thoughts are focused on a simple activity, your brain tends to relax. “We are not disturbed by our own thoughts and appraisals,” he says. “The difficulties of life evaporate from our awareness, and both our bodies and our brains may find this rewarding.”
- Low stakes make it pleasurable. The fact that the outcome of coloring is predictable also can be relaxing. “It is hard to screw up coloring, and, even if you do, there is no real consequence. As result, adult coloring can be a wonderful lark, rather than an arduous test of our capacities,” he adds.
Why does it help some people but not others?
Adult coloring does not relax everyone. It depends on the individual and their prior experiences. Dr. Bea suspects that the more a person enjoyed coloring as a child, the more likely he or she is to respond to it positively as an adult. “It has been my impression that adults choose variants of activities they loved as children for their adult recreations,” he says.
About Exotic Animal Designs:
by Katie Packer and Blue Star Coloring
Illustrator Katie Packer has designed 35 exotic, hand-drawn coloring images featuring koalas, kiwis, and komodo dragons. Your favorite might be the whimsical sea horses, the wise owl, the flying fish, or adult and baby elephants.
It is published by Blue Star Coloring, the team behind multiple national bestselling adult coloring books.
- Designs range in complexity from beginner to expert-level.
- Pictures are whimsical and fun to color.
- Provides hours and hours of fun, creative coloring expression.
- Designs in this book are one sided and the paper is decent.
- The paper takes the colored pencils very well.
- Glue bound at the side.
About the Artist – Katie Packer
Katie Packer was born and raised on the Isle of Wight, a little island at the very bottom of the UK. Her passion for art has evolved over the years, using her surroundings of beaches and open countryside as inspiration.
As a self-taught artist, Katie started her illustrations in 2013 as Lollipop Letters Cuts, focusing on paper cutting and templates for fellow crafters. This gradually developed into creating illustrations, and producing her first coloring book with Blue Star.
Video of Exotic Animal Designs by Katie Packer Published by Blue Star
Published on Dec 19, 2015 – Adult Coloring Book Reviews by Shelly
Join millions of adults all around the world who are rediscovering the simple relaxation and joy of coloring!
- Review of Soul of the Woodland: Stress Relieving Adult Coloring Book by Suzy Joyner and Blue Star Premier
Buy Adult Coloring Books by Blue Star Coloring:
- Exotic Animal Designs: A Stress Relieving Adult Coloring Book by Katie Packer and Blue Star Coloring – Oct.28, 2015 Amazon.com Amazon.ca
- Decorate Your Halloween: An Adult Coloring Book of Halloween Crafts Sep 27 2016 Amazon.com Amazon.ca
- Soul of the Woodland: A Stress Relieving Adult Coloring Book by Suzy Joyner Aug 14 2015 Amazon.com Amazon.ca
- Soul of the Woodland: A Stress Relieving Adult Coloring Book, Celebration Edition Oct 20 2016 Amazon.com Amazon.ca